Thursday, November 02, 2017

What will Facebook revenue be in 2027?

I'm beginning to think that my previous estimate for FB earnings growth was too low.  Here's what I said back in July:
My estimate of Facebook's future EPS growth is:
Years 1 & 2: 50%; Year 3: 30%;Years 4 & 5: 20%; Thereafter 15%.
Now 1.5 ^ 2 * 1.3 * 1.2 ^ 2 * 1.15 ^ 5 equals 8.47, so I was projecting that Facebook earnings will be 8.5 times current earnings in 10 years.  How did I come up with this estimate?  Well the initial 50% is its current growth rate, but years 2 - 10 is really just a wild guess.  Let's try and be more methodical.

Here's what could reasonably happen in 10 years:
  • Number of people connected to internet grows from 3.7B to 6.3B = 70%
  • Average income of existing users grows by 50%
  • Amount of time on internet spent by average user grows 100%
  • Number of ads served to an average user per hour of internet time grows 30%
  • Effectiveness of an average Facebook ad grows 160% (ie. 10% per year)
Now 1.7 * 1.5 * 2 * 1.3 * 2.6 equals 17.24, so it's possible that Facebook's revenue will grow 17 times in the next decade.  Facebook's expenses do not need to grow in line with revenue - it will not need 17 times as many employees and data centres - so its profit could grow substantially faster.  

Such a behemoth would likely have it's wings clipped by regulation, but I'm still very happy to have a large share of my net worth in Facebook (and Google, for the same reasons).




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home